Pot de chocolat is an all-time favorite that can be pulled together quickly for everyday pleasure – this is especially good news for chocolate lovers ! There are several methods for making pots de chocolat – this one is a stovetop method which is easier than the other custard method using egg yolks and a « bain marie ». This recipe gives a flavor & texture that is just delicious…
Ingredients – for 8-10 people
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon instant coffee powder, a few drops of coffee extract, or ½ an espresso
100g sugar (3,6 oz)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder (40g)
2 tablespoons corn starch (20g)
pinch of salt
3 egg yolks (60g)
113g heavy cream
567g milk, whole milk preferably
85g butter, cut in small pièces
113g dark chocolate, with 60-64% cocoa content
shaved almonds, quantity desired (for decorating the top)
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, corn starch and salt. Add the yolks and the cream, and whisk until full incorporation.
- Pour in the milk until it is incorporated to above.
- Place this in a pan & cook on the stovetop. Cook over medium heat until you have bubbles, about 8-10 minutes. Cook an additional 30 seconds after you reach the boil stage.
- Remove from heat & add the butter & chocolate until completely melted, and then add some vanilla extract. Try to avoid clumps.
- Pour into a big bowl for serving family style or into individual pots. Film the surface with « cling film » to avoid forming a skin. Refrigerate 3 hours before serving.