This is a robust-flavored “amuse bouche” that is best served hot from the skillet. The mise-en-place can be prepared in advance which makes this a 5 minute task to actually cook. I’ve made this with both cured chorizo (Spanish style) and the raw sausage. I pre-cook the sausage if using raw. Enjoy!
Ingredients – for 12 skewers
13 shrimp (about 20 per kilo), peeled and deveined (one extra for the cook!)
2-3 raw spicy chorizo sausages*, with casing
Juice of about 1/2 a lime
About 1/8 cup white wine, but use to taste
1 clove of garlic
Pimenton (Spanish paprika) – to taste
Nob of butter
* you can season with Cayenne pepper if spicy chorizo not available
- Peel shrimp completely; remove vein and rinse under cold water and place on paper towel to dry. Reserve. You will serve 12 shrimp and use the last one to test for doneness during the cooking process.
- Heat small frying pan. Spray with oil and add sausages. Cook over low heat, rotating often until all sides are lightly colored. You can cover with a lid to expedite the internal cooking. Once cooked, remove from pan and let cool. Cut into slice rounds (even better if stored in fridge).
- Juice the lime. Reserve, covered.
- Press the garlic into the lime juice just before cooking.
- Pour wine & reserve.
- Prepare the 12 skewers: Place the shrimp on the skewer, then add the chorizo slice. Depending on the size of the chorizo, you may need to cut it in half. (The last shrimp doesn’t need to be skewered). Reserve. If stored in the fridge, remove 30 minutes before cooking.
- Cook & Serve.
- Lightly salt the shrimp on both sides just before cooking.
- Heat frying pan on high. Once hot, add a little oil and nob of butter. Add skewers and the extra shrimp, lying flat. Let cook about 1-2 minutes, then turn once browned or lightly colored. Cook another 1-2 minutes. Timing depends on shrimp size.
- Deglaze the pan with wine & reduce almost completely, about 1 minute.
- Add lime juice with garlic. Toss pan to coat all skewers. Add another nob of butter to finish it off. Taste the extra shrimp to validate the seasoning and doneness. Adjust as required.
- Serve immediately. (Wipe off skewer handles first if necessary.)